NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT CENTRE- CROSS COUNTRY SKI RACER

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bend Oregon Recap and Beyooooond!


 I’m on my way back to Toronto for one final visit with the fam, on my way through to Thunder Bay, which conveniently falls on my Mom’s Birthday! My wonderfully, awesome brother is picking me up from the airport at midnight in the middle of his exam period…. You’re the best! Right now I just can’t wait to go to bed. It’s been a full on day of sitting and people watching as there isn’t much else to do in airports. You should check out my friend Jennie Bender’s blog post about traveling in airports, it’s pretty hilarious and yet so true!HERE

By the time I reached Atlanta, Georgia (this means I basically flew across the Americas), everything became rather humorous. I noticed, from my middle seat, on the decent into Atlanta,  the amount of trees still standing. It looked like a giant field of broccoli the whole way down, even amongst the residential areas. I thought it would be much more urban but it turns out Atlanta likes it’s trees. Good on you Atlanta.  Once we landed and the seatbelt sign was turned off I noticed I had about 15 minutes to catch my connection. This was just as the flight attendant starts explaining how huge the airport is and to view the screens to find your concourse as they just opened up a new wing of the airport. Yippeeeee. Luckily, there was a tram to take me across the airport to catch the flight. I was that antsy person skipping stairs on the escalator with multiple “excuse me’s” and speed walking the moving sidewalks. As I finished rushing over to the gate and working up a good case of the travel sweats (eww) I realized boarding was an hour before take off. Que the Smoothie King. I went to get a smoothie from a place that looked like Booster Juice, but instead landed myself at “The Smoothie King” and turns out in Atlanta the large looks a lot like this:
I never get a large, in anything, what was I thinking? Note to self, read fine print to realize how big 20oz of orange juice, bananas and mangos really are. It’s bigger than my head. I drank the whole thing.  It was delicious.

But enough about my travels, Bend was great. Really, a sweet camp with a great group, quality training and a lot of laughs. I promise to just load up on pictures now....

It was great to see my good friend and Team Hardwood Alumni Alana, now a member of the AWCA.

One day Michael had REALLY slow skis and I had REALLY REALLY fast skis so we were able to catch a ski together on a very nice day. Michael here soaking up the greatness. Thank you Fischer for making uber fast zeros.

Skiers in the morning, Sluggers by the afternoon. Here’s Emily Nishikawa killing it at bat. “That’s a nice slice” or something like that. I realized this was my first ever baseball game. I think I did okay… I made contact with the ball! But also stopped a ball with my shin. Ouch!

One day it snowed forever! A one-armed Kate managed to make a snowman to “guard” the boys' ride home.
Snow snow snow. It snowed aaallll day.
Oh, and day one, we broke a window. We had good intentions when we got locked out but it didn't turn out so well. Quick fix.

My first SUN DOG! I have never seen or heard of it before but was quickly educated after I called it and upside-down rainbow. A pretty cool site.

 View from one of our houses.


Coffee at Thump, a local coffee shop. MMMMM.Wishes are written and hung throughout Thump.

We finished off the camp with a Beck concert at the downtown Amphitheater. Annika got a prime view.

Enjoying Beck!

Thanks to the Alberta World Cup Academy for taking me on this last week! Now to get back to Thunder Bay and put in a few solid weeks of training with the new 2012/2013 NDC team. Can’t wait to see everyone! Next we will take part in the LSSD training camp held in Thunder Bay.  Hopefully I’ll have some adventure before then. Like redecorating me room…..? What?

Erin.
.... .... .... .... NOW IS THE TIME TO BE FULL OF COURAGE