NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT CENTRE- CROSS COUNTRY SKI RACER

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

So it Begins....

We've arrived! ... Last Wednesday. As usual Silver Star, B.C. has been very good to us. The sky is blue and the temp has been sitting around a very bearable -5ish. We left snowless Thunder Bay to begin an altitude camp at this ski paradise and resort. I have new skis to test and no exams to worry about so I've been looking forward to this trip for a while. I was able to write both of my final exams before leaving which took a nice little weight off my shoulders. It all begins now, 4 weeks until I'm back in Thunder Bay and only a bit shy of 3 weeks until I'm home for Christmas. 


 A beautiful sunset at about 4:30pm. Not being aware of the early sunset left Alannah, myself and an afternoon workout out in the dark. Luckily we know the trails pretty well and made it back A-O-KAY. It's like this every night! It makes me want to move to the mountains sometimes.


We skied to the summit of Silver Star Mountain and whooooooo-weeee, what a view. It doesn't get old. Ever. The great part too is that you get to ski down the same way you came up and work on those downhill skills. It gets a bit chilly but it's so much fun!

We substituted the Alberta Cup races happening last weekend for a time trial here at Sovereign Lake where we were able to ski the exact course we will be racing this coming weekend. It has been quite a few years since a classic distance race had been on the calendar at Sovereign and that makes for an all-classic race weekend. Classic sprints Saturday and 10km Classic individual start on Sunday. I'm actually looking forward to the classic distance because the course skis really well and is a ton of fun. I've had a bit more success in skate distance races but I'm working like heck on that classic so I have to start somewhere! I'm also looking forward to having my Auntie Bev and Uncle Bob come up to watch the races on Saturday. It's great when family from other parts of the country have to opportunity to come watch me race. It feels a bit more like home.

We spent yesterday at lower altitude in Vernon which provided a nice break and an opportunity for everyone to shop for their annual Secret Santa gift. Last year my teammates got pretty inventive so I'm curious to see what $10 and a Liquidation World will get us this year. Update on that to follow later this week!

So now we prepare. Prepare for the first races of the season. The TT helped get the cobwebs out but you never know how the first race with a real bib on will go. It's fast approaching and I'm getting excited! Results can be found on www.zone4.ca this weekend.

Hopefully I'll have more photos up soon.

Nap time,

Erin



.... .... .... .... NOW IS THE TIME TO BE FULL OF COURAGE