NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT CENTRE- CROSS COUNTRY SKI RACER

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Estonia? Estonia!!

I guess I need to work on the timing of this blogging thing, to let you in on stuff before they happen or soon shortly after.... because right now I'm in Finland! After the NorAms (North American race series - or Canada Cup) in Thunder Bay last week, which tripled as many selection races, I raced consistently enough to nab the fourth and final spot on the Canadian Under 23 Team to race at the U23 World Championships in Estonia! So we are in Vierumaki, Finland preparing to hop across the Baltic to Otepaa, Etonia for the champs next week. This is my first international trip to an event of this caliber and I'm looking forward to experiencing the whole shambam. I'm also excited to have teammates Andy and Michael and our coach Eric here with me.

It was REALLY dang cold in Thunder Bay. Im actually wearing 2 layers on top plus a warmup jacket and parka, and 3 layers on the bottom. Thick socks, mitts and slather the face with dermatone (to protect against cold), and viola! Ready to go!

Backing up to trials at Lappe, there were three races that counted as qualifiers for U23s. Basically if you win a race, you go, so it's a little bit of a do-or-die scenario. Three races, four spots. For the U23 women, a different girl won each race so there was only one spot left at the end of the week. Recap:

DAY 1- 15 km pursuit:
For anyone reading who is unfamiliar with a continuous pursuit: you begin the race classical style in a mass start and ski 7km. Then you go through a transition zone were skate skis and poles are waiting for you in a pre-assigned zone. You quickly change to skate equipment and head out to do another 7km. How you cross the finish line determines your placing.
We headed out in the -18 conditions to a slow course. I got detached a little bit from the lead pack at the beginning and had trouble catching up. By the time I reached the exchange zone I was too far back to catch them on the skate course. At the end of the day I was 5th U23 and 13th overall. Not the day I was looking for or expecting but I felt good physically and felt I was skiing well, which is still a good sign. So I shook off that race and focused my energy on the next one, the classic sprints.

DAY 2 - 1.4km Classic Sprint
We had been able to practice the course at speed before the trials began. This was a great way to take advantage of having the trials at Lappe. I really liked the course with its fast down and long climb. The qualifier went well and I came out 4th U23. During the qualifier I skied directly behind National Team member Dasha, which helped me stay up front. I was toed out at the line by former Hardwood team member Alana Thomas who came up fast in the finishing stretch. Thanks to my good qualifying place, I was the "lucky loser" and headed to the semi finals (the top two automatically move on and the fastest 3rd place in the heats also moves on. The day is over for everyone else). I was again edged out at the finish line during the semi-finals which means I would advance to the B-final and not the A-final. Since 2 girls in U23 advanced to the A-final among the seniors, there were no chances that day of me qualifying for Worlds. I was disappointed with the day because I had really wanted to make the A-final. Anything can happen in a sprint race and thats how my day ended up. One more race to go.

Alana and I at the finish line. Sometimes it comes down to the toe of your boot!

DAY3- 10km Skate individual start
Today was the last day I could win a race and qualify for U23's. I was pumped about the course and that it was skate. I knew I had to leave everything out there if this was going to happen for me. I set out at a good pace and felt strong as I worked through the first 5km lap. I was getting good splits which means I was having a good race in terms of results. There were two solid climbs at the end of course and I knew I just had to keep moving on the last lap. At this point I was fighting for 2nd place since the leader had a gap. I finished the race feeling very happy with my effort and the day as a whole. I ended up 3rd U23 and 10th overall. It wasn't a win but I couldn't complain with having a great race.

That afternoon, almost positive it wasn't in the cards for me to get the last spot, my coach stopped by the house. There was so much going on around the house that I didn't really have time to think why he was there. He proceeded to ask me what I was doing the following weekend and then told me he would be going to this thing, and was wondering If I wanted to come... at that point he pulled the red warmup jacket from his parka and told me I had been selected! YAYYYY!!!!

A few photos courtesy of my Mom. She takes great pictures, but it was so cold there were no style points awarded that week since everyone was covered to the max... and snot and sweat and everything freezes... gross. So I refuse to post the gross ones haha!

My parents came to watch the races and my dad was a big help in the wax room. Thanks Mom & Dad!

Heading up a hill

Eric letting me in on the status of the race and where I stand thus far. And a little cheering!

So here we are...

Vierumaki is a cool little.... village? It used to be a sports school so the facilities across the grounds, mixed in with the golf course seem pretty unreal. I bet in the summer the whole place would be alive with athletes and people doing all kinds of activities. We are staying at a classy hotel with a full pension - breaky, lunch and dinner served buffet style. The trails are about 200m out the back door, around the golf course and summer walking trails, and the snow is great. It feels so fast compared to the slow snow we've had over the last 3 weeks in Thunder Bay due to cold temps. It isn't very sunny in these parts but hopefully it'll say hello soon. I haven't taken any pictures yet I will post some shortly. We are having a bowling tournament this evening agains the USA team, and yes the bowling alley is in the hotel.

That's all for now!
.... .... .... .... NOW IS THE TIME TO BE FULL OF COURAGE