NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT CENTRE- CROSS COUNTRY SKI RACER

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Let's Get Organized

This morning marks the close of what feels like the last 3 months. I'm at my parent's house in Horseshoe Valley after getting off the plane from Austria last night, and have that feeling like a block is over. Athletes tend to organize their lives in "blocks"... intensity block, volume block, rest week, training block... and a new one starts when another one ends. It's a way to organize your focus for what training goals needs to be accomplished next. I would consider this a big block covering many little blocks. This summer has thrown me a few curve balls and I'm actually quite proud of how I managed to duck or swerve to once again, get organized.  The first was dealing with a big ol' bummer of cancelling a 3 week training camp to Canmore, AB. I was really looking forward to training with other women and good friends in Canada but the flooding out west cancelled that trip, for the Austrian alternative. I'm pretty lucky that my team planned to go to Austria because it made it easy to turn around and get excited about something else. So we booked a flight and that was set. What can ya'do? Go to Europe!

And then my plans changed a little bit one more time. My family lost a great lady, my Grandmother, a few weeks ago. She has always been a light in our lives and full of laughter, fun and love. I was able to make it to Parry Sound before going to Austria to spend some time with my family. I learned new things about my Grandma as a young girl and loved every minute of hearing everyone's stories about her, and sharing my own. She will be remembered as a lady who was loved by everyone. This was a really special few days for me, a real treat to be able to honour her memory. Here she is...

Always up for a party! And always in bright colours!

Myself, Granda and Mom

 Out in full cheering force to watch my brother and I compete in a triathlon!

I've learned that you just gotta-go-with-it, with whatever may happen. I met up with the team a few days late and was off and skiing. There will be one more training camp before the end of the summer, and then school will begin and another training block. And then, and then, and then.... and then you can go on for days but you'll have to wait for those to stories to develop.

Here are a few last pictures from this amazing training camp....

It was a good day, got the Parrot!


I think I talked about the sun too much because we got a flash hail storm!

Ouch.


Hail and then.... another beauty day on the glacier!
"Andy, give me your best technique!"


Good night Schladming


Before take off we had a night in Munich, the "bavarian snack plate" as my meal, as well as some pancake soup and pretzels. Alannah and I vowed to at least try everything on the plate. Little did we know, after taking in a spoon full, one thing was actually a pork fat "spread" with bacon bits...whoops.


 Jack and Victor's impressive platter

I just want to say thanks to my team and coaches for a great camp, everyone worked so hard and so well to make those positive gains we need to move forward. See you all in a week-ish.

Adios!
E.


.... .... .... .... NOW IS THE TIME TO BE FULL OF COURAGE