NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT CENTRE- CROSS COUNTRY SKI RACER

Friday, August 2, 2013

Back to Austria I Went...Am still...In Austria

Here I am! I'm in Schladming, Austria and it's even greater than I remember. This trip marks the 4th time I've had the chance to hang out in this little mountain town and ski my brains out up on the Dachstein Glacier. The 4.5km ski loop sits at about 2600m and I think a new record has been set with the number of sunny days I've ever ha on a glacier.
My morning view 

 Still a beaut!

Selfie while waiting. My hair has grown long since we last spoke :)

I've noticed some differences with this trip. Being a ski racer brings ample opportunity to travel and see the world in a different kind of way, but you don't often chose your destination. Other than one trip to Florida with 2 girlfriends, I haven't been to a place that someone else didn't decide where I was going. Don't worry I'm sure not complaining, but it's interesting to me to visit the same, small, 7,000 populated Austrian ski town 4 times in 5 years. Who does that? A skier chasing the snow. I feel much more "at home" here than ever. Maybe it's my wise-ness kicking in (bahahah, kidding), but we're staying in Haus Katerina again, eating at the same Wintergarten for breakfast and dinner, I know which gelato shop gives you the most for your euro, great routes for afternoon runs, and where the best spot to jump in the river is. Repetitive? Not in the least! I've been able to understand more German (Assistant Coach Victor speaks it fluently so that REALLY helps), relax much easier, and enjoy the stay. Summertime is also beautiful in Austria, like a post-card-all-the-time-beautiful which is a new experience since we always have come in the fall.

Just getting going on our 4hr+ hike into the mountains. Ahh-maz-ing.

Hard to be anything but stoked!


Alannah and I (and 2 photobombers)

Yah sure... that way...we actually didn't get lost!


Backtracking a bit for you, here are some points about the last year or so, present to past:

I moved houses in TBay! I'm now living with my friend Katherine and new teammate Jenn. We scored this great house and things are quite comfortable. This move also prompts the goodbye to my teammate/roommate/friend Andrea who has moved on to other adventures in skiing and school. I wish her all the best but will miss her SOooooooo much!

awwwe a little throw back from our first year on NDC together hehehe :)

I finished up a few classes over the year, and even convinced myself to take a spring class. Many weeks later I came out another 1/2 credit ahead which marks the end of first year. I'm officially a 2nd year student at Lakehead. Wahhhooooo! I plan on taking more classes this fall.

Amongst the changes, we have a new head coach, Timo!  We've had a great start to the off-season training and the team has shaped up to be a pretty awesome bunch of 10 + 2 coaches!

Canadian Ski Nationals in March started out great, winning my second ever National medal in the club sprint relay with Mary Thompson! It was a really fun race and the prefect start to the week. My parents came out to watch and my Dad was put to work in the wax room. Many thanks to him for donating his time to our team, my Mom for all the picture taking and chauffeuring, and my Aunt Sue for coming to visit!

Open Women Silver and Challenge Girls Bronze for Team Hardwood!

NDC/Lakehead ladies all cleaned up

 Mom and Dad, love ya for all your support!

 NDC ladies from last season

I RACED IN 2 WORLD CUPS!! Yeahhhh, I'll state that one like a little kid excited about Christmas. Canada was awarded 2 weekends worth of World Cup racing and I qualified for one city-sprint in Quebec City, and another sprint in Canmore, Alberta. The racing experience was unbeatable and definitely the highlight of my season.

Quebec City sprinting action.

They had a jump? Apparently this is how you make xc-skiing exciting to the general public.

Fast-forward again, we have a few more days in Austria before heading home. I'll be making a pit stop at home to spend some QT with my family and friends before heading back to Thunder Bay. Can't wait since I really don't get to see them as much as I'd like to!

Auf Wiedersehen! (goodbye/see you again)
Erin

PS. I really do have more to write about, but I thought it would only be fair to give you a warm up after such a long hiatus... that's all I'll say about that.









.... .... .... .... NOW IS THE TIME TO BE FULL OF COURAGE